Tuesday, June 1, 2010

graduation day


.

I've been holding out on this post for a while now, trying to get all the information together to do it justice. So here we go: Andrew's graduation day.

I have to start by saying that about two months ago Andrew called me to let me know his graduation date. He kept telling me to bring a camcorder, that he was going to do something crazy. Honestly, I was afraid he was going to moon the audience, or something nutty like that. It wouldn't be beyond Andrew to pull some crazy prank. I just didn't know what he had up his sleeve. Hmmm...I just wonder.

Galveston College Graduating Class of 2010

Moody Gardens
May 14, 2010 / 7:30 p.m.

The family is seated, and the ceremony begins. Grampy (my dad) secured us great seats, so we have an excellent view. The graduating class walks in, the music is playing, and we all stand. I wait and wait to see Andrew. I don't see Andrew. The students all find their seats, and the faculty walks in. I still don't see Andrew. At this point, I ask my stepmom "Where's Andrew? I didn't see Andrew."

She just smiles.

I begin frantically looking through the commencement program. I don't see his name. Holy crap, what is this kid up to?? I ask Nancy again. All she says is "Maybe you're not looking on the right page..."

So I look again. Finally. There he is. First page.

Keynote addresses delivered by: Mr. Andrew Alan Engel, Mr. Les Weidner, and Mr. Eddie Ernst.

Andrew graduated in the top six of his class and was selected among two others to deliver a speech. Of course I immediately welled up with tears and pride. My baby rocks! His speech was beautiful, inspirational, and funny. Twice, in the middle of his speech, the audience claps and cheers.

Andrew later confessed that it was difficult for him to look in our direction because whenever he did, he would feel choked up with the thought that his whole family was there supporting him. Words cannot even express my love for him.

I did tell you that this kid is amazing, didn't I?

Enjoy the pics. Better yet, enjoy his speech, which was the absolute highlight of my year. Congratulations Andrew! Hugs and love forever!


Andrew giving his speech.


Later that evening, hiding from the press.


Next day, playing with little sister and sporting his new UT bound cap.

And here's the speech. My apologies, a huge chunk is missing (can't seem to get my pooter to work right, ugh!). But still a great speech. Now, off to UT Austin - whoo-hoo!!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The princess reads her mail daily. Please leave a love note for sweet Iris.