This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the usual stuff that most people are thankful for; a roof over my head, a belly full of good food, family, friends, and the freedom that affords me to make all the choices I can make.
But today I am especially thankful for the small spaces that live within the bigger moments. Spaces that just two years ago, I hadn't dreamed would fill my life. These tiny moments resonate within my heart as jewels and precious stones, spreading into my days with sparkle and giggles. I collect these moments and savor each gift that my daughter in all her innocence gives just by being herself.
I am struck with the beautiful things that come out of my mouth each day & am inspired to somehow capture it forever. The other day, Iris was playing with her word flash cards. At some point she became disinterested and went on to something else. She was happily walking by me & I noticed she had something stuck to her foot. It was the flash card with the word and picture of a star.
"Iris, there's a star on your foot!"
She looked down and laughed. Stars on her feet? How silly, right? And she kept right on walking with that star on her foot. Today I am thankful for the stars on her feet.
Each morning, while I am making breakfast, Iris runs around the house and gives me things. Not just random things. They are well thought out & meant specifically for me. She runs into the kitchen and hands me my cell phone & runs out again. Then she runs in with my datebook. Next, is my keys. I might get a pen. My shoe. My purse. The remote control. My hairbrush. By the time breakfast is done, I have a little pile of thoughtful random stuff that Iris has given me & it makes me smile. Today I am thankful for little random piles of stuff.
On any given night, I roll over in my bed and pull a stuffed frog, bunny, bear, piggy out from under my hip, back, leg, arm, thigh. I pull it out and smile, knowing that that very stuffed animal had been swarmed with kisses and hugs all day from Iris. And then I promptly give the stuffy a kiss & toss it onto the floor. Today I am thankful for stuffed lovies.
Iris, a cautious child, is a little apprehensive around dogs. They are too unpredictable, with their spontaneous facial licking, wildly wagging tails in all directions, obnoxious barking. She'd see one coming her way & want to be picked up. Several weeks ago, while visiting Aunt Herbie, Iris was at odds with Sweeney the Chihuahua. Sweeney would nip at Iris' heels, bark and take off. The whole thing was quite distressing to Iris. So I taught Iris to tell the dog "no!" She tried it out, wagging her finger at Sweeney "Na! Na! Na!" Suddenly, Sweeney stopped. And Iris felt empowered. Poor dog would be minding her own business & Iris would walk by her saying "Na! Na! Na!" Just last weekend, Iris walked up to Sweeney and in all her glorious empowered self, gave Sweeney a pat on the head, and kissed her wet nose.
Today I am thankful for the words that empower my little girl.
I am thankful for wet kisses each morning and throughout the day. For food-smeared smiles. For blankies and peek-a-boo games. For dirty carpets and food-stained car seats. For clutter and sleepless nights. For kissing boo-boos and the courage it takes to face puppies, immunization shots, and the other unknowables of life. All this, and so much more. I am thankful for the beauty and inspiration and happiness that is my daughter.
And I wonder...how someone so little can capture my soul and transform my heart into the heart of a happy child.
Thank you, my darling Iris. Happy Thanksgiving!
.

No comments:
Post a Comment
The princess reads her mail daily. Please leave a love note for sweet Iris.