Friday, April 16, 2010

fortunes

.

Tonight has been the first night that Princess and I felt well enough to eat something besides breastmilk or soup. Earlier this week, a trip to the doctor revealed a viral infection & a temperature of 102. Since there isn't much you can do for babies under two, doc sent us home with instructions to get plenty of fluids, take infant Motrin, hit the humidifier, and wait it out. Poor baby. She was so sweet during her illness, taking time to be sure I was kissed on a regular basis. But taking care of a sick baby is no picnic when Mom is sick herself! Those baby kisses sure helped, though.

So tonight, after a beauty bath & donning our pink princess jammies, we ordered out as a treat. Even the delivery guy gushed over baby girl's cuteness as he handed us our General Tso's Chicken & eggrolls. Tonight was good. Good in a peaceful, content, life-is-good sort of way. After a week of misery, it was nice to spread out our food on the living room floor with a full appetite & enjoy the squeals from Iris as she crawled from one dish to another. She had no appetite all week & actually lost a little weight. She happily stuffed herself full of fried rice and sweet fried biscuits. Wasn't too thrilled with General Tso, but then, neither was I. There is rice all over my living room floor, but it was well worth it.

The final treat was our fortune cookie fortunes. I handed one to Iris & opened it for her.

Your heart is pure and your mind clear and your soul devout

I was a little blown away by that one. I often struggle with how to describe Iris' intensity when it comes to being clingy. It occured to me tonight that my daughter is not clingy, she just has a devout soul. A soul whose devoutness I cherish and honor.

And I got two fortunes tonight in my cookie!

You add an aesthetic quality to everything you do

Your blessing is no more than being safe and sound for the whole lifetime.

I think it's the last one that settle over me with serenity and a lingering peacefulness. I don't think I could ask for anything more than that.

Good night and sweet dreams little one!

And good fortune to all.



.

1 comment:

  1. . . . and your soul devout! How lovely, sweet grandbaby girl! I do, indeed, perceive a devotion in you that is beautiful and pure. May we all be half the people that you, sweet Iris, think we are!! Remind us, sweet baby girl, remind us. . . that we're here to show you the bright way. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

The princess reads her mail daily. Please leave a love note for sweet Iris.